Thursday, February 12, 2009

I am making a vow

I am going to try my best to make sustainable clothing choices for one year.

What does this mean?

I am only going to purchase clothing:
-That is second hand
-I made myself
-Is made is a sustainable manner

Why am I doing this?

I had a student worker interview me on sustainability for a class project because I was writing my thesis on issues related to sustainable apparel. She asked "Do you own any organic or sustainable clothes?" I paused, I did not.

It is easy for me to think about sustainability and what industry should be doing. It is easy and therapeutic for me to go to the store and buy something mass produced off the rack. I want to know how it feels to be conscious of what I am buying. I want to know if really takes that much effort.

I also feel that pre-thinking my apparel choices and most likely being involved in modifying the design, will give me a sense of connection with my apparel. I also think I will own less.

I also am trying to force myself to sew more.

2 comments:

  1. Remember when you did that fleece recycling project? That made a huge impact. It'd be neat if you made your own sustainable clothing line from recycled scraps.

    I always thought it'd be fun to buy a bunch of old clothes from Good Will or some other cheap second hand shop, cut the fabric into scraps and make quilts out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use it up,
    Wear it out,
    Make it do
    Or do without!

    Good luck. It's a rewarding process. I like the scraps idea. If you're looking for organic/sustainable clothes you can try my favorite place to buy apparell Clothing Matters. When you visit Grand Rapids, drop in. www.clothingmatters.net

    ReplyDelete